Monday 28 February 2011

Chilli Con Carne

I put up my first website in 1995. Between 1996 and 2001, I uploaded a series of recipes - one a month during regular monthly updates. This was, in effect, my first food blog (although the word 'blog' was first coined in 1998 and not widely used until several years later).

I will be revisiting some of these recipes during the course of this current blog. Here's the gif graphic I used in the 1990s:

The July 1996 entry was for 'Steve’s chilli'. I still cook it, especially when family are around. I basically cook it the same way today.

• Ingredients: Mince (about 1lb), large onion finely chopped, clove of garlic crushed, 2 green chillis, tin tomatoes, tin of kidney beans, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon chilli powder, vegetable oil, salt and pepper.

• Heat oil. Fry onion, add mince, add garlic.

• After about 5 mins add chopped chillis and tomatoes. Stir and simmer.

• Add kidney beans, sugar and seasoning.

• Cover and high heat for at least 30 mins.

• Uncover and boil off access liquid if any. Serve with nachos and/or rice. Have sour cream handy.

I noted in 1996 that Texan traditionalists tend to omit the kidney beans. Don't see the point of that. Anyone know if it's true? I have been know to add mushrooms and peppers to my chillis, which certainly isn't traditional to anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment